Thursday, December 27, 2012

Lessons Learned and Learning Still

I wrote the following three months ago. This past year, as it comes to its close, has been a year of much change and heartache, for many.  


God is faithful beyond anything...and He so delicately, tenderly and mightily orchestrates each precious moment of our lives...

I feel like sometimes when I write or speak of the beauty He has interwoven into my life and my story...that I can't possibly describe it all...my words are inadequate and in addition, His workings are so individual and personal and precious to me...

Sometimes they are things that only He and I can fully share.

And I am not special. I have done absolutely nothing to earn or deserve such a romancing of the depths of my heart and soul.

How profound and beautiful to know that He loves and knows each of us in such a way, that the unknown depths...the aches, the joys, the wounds, the sorrow...

Are KNOWN by Him.

There is much I have learned in these past few years. There is much that I am still learning. 


Firstly...brokenness does not disable us from being used by the Lord...in fact, it equips us. Suffering is beautiful, and it is what we are called to when we call ourselves Christians and claim Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior. 

And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
                              -2 Corinthians 12:9 King James

[the Prosperity Gospel as well as Dominion Theology has come to make me feel sick in the pit of my stomach...it breaks my heart, and it leads so many sincere Christians astray, particularly our generation, who are longing for something 'real' and passionate...We desperately need the Word of God, and we need it in context.

Secondly, and related to all of this...I once realized that I didn't fully understand the Love of God. But I wanted to understand, I earnestly wanted to. But what I chased after, ultimately left me empty handed still...

Because the LOVE of my Lord is not determined by some experience, or some amazing time of prayer or worship session. It is not defined by constantly trying to maintain a spiritual high or to feel a certain way or to encounter Him in a special way...all these may be the result, but they are not the focal point...and they most certainly can become idols and distractions and lead us down a very broad but dangerous road...

Jesus Christ once said that we should be take care lest the light that is in us is darkness. (Luke 11:35)

But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtlety, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.
                          -2 Corinthians 11:3

As I began to walk away from emotionalism and experience-driven Christianity, I began to understand the subtlety and falsehood I was immersed in, and I found myself deeply grieved. 


No, the Love of my Lord is defined by what Jesus Christ did for me on that Cross.

And that is PROFOUND. That is what brings me to tears. That is what brings me to repentance. That is what took me so long to understand. 

That is the simplicity of the Gospel. That is the Joy of my Salvation.

No comments:

Post a Comment